Whether you want to move within the same town or relocating to another state, using a moving container is arguably the most cost-effective and efficient way to move. Portable shipping containers are not only the most cost-efficient way to move, but also provide the easiest and safest way to store your household belongings before, during, and after the move. So what is a shipping container and how is it used to move a home?
Shipping containers are steel framed and portable containers that are designed and assembled with mobility in mind with the aim of shipping items across the sea. Thanks to their weather proof nature and freedom of mobility, it also makes them a good option for transporting household items almost anywhere. You simply pack them in and begin moving it out. The main advantages to using a moving container over other moving services are that containers are more cost efficient, offer customers flexibility, and can double as storage containers. While the container moving process may vary from company to company, there isn’t much difference. So how are shipping containers used to move a home?
How shipping containers are used to move homes
1. Selecting a container moving company
Since there are quite a number of shipping containers moving interstate, you should do a thorough research to choose the best one. The shipping containers moving price usually vary based on the number of containers you will use or the amount of container space, and the distance to be moved. The containers are very large, and in most cases you may need only one. In fact, most companies will provide you with a 28-foot trailer ask you to pay only for the space you use.
2. Packing your household items
Once you have made arrangements with the moving container company, the shipping container or containers are delivered to your home a few days before the moving day. The homeowner is then given some time or even several days to load the moving container with their household belongings. Once the home owner has finished packing everything in the moving container, the containers will be secured with locks in place. This ensures that no one will be able to break into them. After that, a driver from the moving company will pick up the container and drive it to its destination.
To ensure that all your household belongings arrive to your new home in one piece, there are some packing tips that you have to follow. The following are a few tips to consider when loading your home moving container.
1. Keep the load level horizontal – When packing items in the container, it is important to maintain a consistent gap between your household items and the ceiling. This is applicable when you are not stacking items all the way to the shipping container ceiling.
2. Stack heavier items on the bottom – Although this may seem like an obvious tip, it’s relatively easy to forget it if you are in a hurry and don’t have a loading plan. Ensure that you load your packing boxes into the container according to their weight and size as much as possible.
3. Fill all spaces with smaller items – Fewer gaps in the shipping container means less shifting. Therefore, use all the odd shaped items that cannot fit in the boxes to fill all the spaces that are left when packing.
3. Container drop off
After the company has delivered the container to your new home, they will drop it off at your home. You can then begin unloading and unpacking it within a predetermined time which can go up to even months. If the process of moving everything into and out of the shipping container is too much work, you can choose to hire removalists to help you. You will still save a lot because you will only be hiring them to do a small job.
Moving containers are definitely the safest and most affordable way to get your items moved across the city or state. In fact, most Australians are opting for this type of self-service moving as it not only takes out pressure out of moving, but is also less expensive. If you want to move your home and need the most flexible and affordable solution for your moving, this is the best option to go with.